Little Explorers is a way for children ages 2-6 (and their parent/guardian) to explore a local Iredell County park. Nature educators will guide children to notice plants and animals, with a hands-on approach to teaching environmental education. Walks are child-directed and open-ended. Children learn through questions, observation, and play. Groups move slowly through the park, stopping often. In this way, children have time to notice and learn about the plants and animals around them.
Each session is $15, and includes 3 park visits. The Spring session will meet once per month, April - June.
Pre-registration required and is available online. Spaces are limited!
The Spring 2022 Session will be as follows:
April 7 (Thursday): 9 - 10am
Bigleaf Slopes Park - 341 Twin Oaks Rd, Statesville, NC 28625
May 5 (Thursday): 9 - 10am
Stumpy Creek Park - 160 Stumpy Creek Rd, Mooresville, NC 28117
June 2 (Thursday): 9 - 10am
Statesville Greenway - Fourth Creek Trailhead 2448 E Broad St, Statesville, NC 28625
Walks last approximately 60 minutes. Content is geared for children ages 2-6.
(Siblings under 2 also welcome at no charge. Please keep older siblings at home.)
All children and adults will need to be able to follow these guidelines to participate in a walk:
- Children ages 2-6 can participate and must register in advance (younger siblings may attend with a registered child). Children and adults must provide their name, parent email, and phone number during registration.
- Group sizes are limited.
- Only one adult per child can attend.
- A waiver is required and must be completed for every participant prior to the day of the program, signed online by the parent/guardian during registration. (A waiver covers the parent and child attending)
- Follow general sanitation guidelines. Cover your coughs and sneezes. Stay home if you are ill.
- Our staff will email everyone who is signed up the day before the walk with important reminders for the walk.